Monday, February 4, 2008

Earth friendly investments

I am having fun with this, I hope some of you subscribed so we can continue to dialog.

Here's one for you. What 'obligation' do we have to invest in green? Economically it doesn't makes sense to do some of this stuff. Do I get a hybrid car? That is more expensive. Do I drop 10K for wind or solar at the house?

I think there is an argument that we should be investing for the future and this is part of it. I don't have an extra 10K sitting around, but I wouldn't be opposed to having a 5-7 year pay back if the initial investment was just a little more reasonable.

The other thing I worry about is how my home owner's association would react. It would probably increase the value of my house, so maybe they wouldn't mind.

On a related note. Have you driven a Toyota Prius? That has the most unusually controls of any car I have seen. I had to sit in it for a while and figure everything out. Check out the interior controls: http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/photo-gallery.html. Especially the gear shifter. Park is a button! It was a little strange pressing a button to park. I was afraid to take my foot off the brake.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of investing, did you get the current monitor? The thing to see how much your appliances draw? Nevermind, I forgot you are turning everything off and living by candle light now. Is this just some sort of plan to get us to all to buy your candles?

I "invested" in a new Windows Media Center components with all "green" pc parts. Between the power supply, the green HD and the more efficent processor the energy saving are something like $10.00 per month. It uses something like 83 kilowatts less per month since I leave it on 24x7 to record TV. $10 per month will only take me 9 years to have it pay for itself, :-;

WilkMan said...

And I must say it is quiet!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of quite (which you can't put a price on), that is what creeped me out when riding in a Prius. No noise when you are standing next to it or when you start off. Maybe it's growing up in Kaufman where the 1st thing you did to your truck is put on a glass pack muffler to give it a proper rumble, but a silent car doesn't seem right.

The media here in Houston (obviously funded by big oil) did a story where the nickel batteries in the Prius did so much damage/cost from mining, shipping, manufacturing and disposal that a Hummer H2 was more eco-friendly long term than a Prius.

Carol Fox said...

I heard that rumor about the Hummer, too. The Sierra Club's response is fairly convincing:

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200711/mrgreen_mailbag.asp

WilkMan said...

Here is the link. It didn't post correctly.
http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200711/mrgreen_mailbag.asp

WilkMan said...

OK, that didn't either. Just put .asp on the end.